Following a 2-phase expansion of its production facility, this Midwest animal-nutrition company needed to install a new reactor system to further increase overall plant production capacity. Baker Group’s Mechanical and Sheet Metal business units provided building information modeling (BIM), engineering and process-design assist, process piping, sheet and plate fabrication, sheet metal, skid/module and design and fabrication.
The new reactor system involved installing large, fragile equipment within existing structural steel. New process piping had to be custom-made using an alternative material and tie into existing piping.
This project began with Baker Group engineers using 3D scanning equipment, from which they created a BIM model of how the new equipment and piping would tie into the existing facility. Based on these models, Baker Group:
- Designed, fabricated and installed process piping using an alternate material, utility piping and process ductwork systems.
- Designed and fabricated material handling hoppers
- Planned the layout for a new dryer and bulk material handling equipment, which was expertly installed by Baker Group crews
- Procured, planned and installed utility equipment and systems.
- Coordinated other trades in a way that expedited the construction schedule without creating unnecessary congestion at the site.
Aided by inhouse process engineers, sophisticated technologies and prefabrication capabilities, Baker Group’s accurate design and planning led to the smooth and on-schedule installation of the new reactor system.