Major Project Produces Fun Facts
Leave it to the Baker Group cast of characters to notice the fun side of a major project – as well as successfully taking care of all the serious aspects.
Working with Mortenson, general contractor, building a central utility plant (CUP) for Vermeer Corporation, Gary Seymour, Senior Mechanical Engineer at Baker Group, pumped out these fun facts. Building Information Modeling (BIM) was the key tool employed in the project, beginning with the November 2019 presentation to Mortenson through shop fabrication and field installation. Actual work on the 10-month Design-Build project began last February. From day one, the virtual model was used as the team brought together multiple facets of this tightly timed project to enable all involved to see, understand, manage and build the CUP, from concept into reality. Expecting the Best is easier when you can see it!
Have a look.
· number of field welds on large overhead piping mains
· how long it took to get large piping put in place overhead
· miles of electrical conduit inside building
· Baker Group shop pre-fabrication of large piping
· miles of electrical wire inside building
· Megawatts of power to drive the CUP at full capacity
· average crew size in Baker Group fabrication shop involved in project
· average crew size on site for project
· approximate number of semi deliveries from Baker Group Shop to Jobsite
· largest diameter of buried piping sending water to buildings
· largest diameter piping used in CUP
· design chilled water temperature leaving the CUP
· shop schedule worked during pre-fabrication
· design water temperature entering the cooling towers from the chillers
· longest overhead pipe craned in place, empty weight 25,000 lbs
· number of shop welds on large overhead piping
· lineal feet of piping inside CUP
· total motor horsepower required to pump water around
· CUP cooling capacity would provide air conditioning for approximately
· number of face masks used due to COVID-19
· tons of cooling provided for campus-day 1
About Baker Group
Founded in 1963 and with more than 700 employees across Iowa, Baker Group is the Midwest’s premier full-service specialty contractor providing mechanical, sheet metal, electrical, compressed air, building automation, process automation, security systems, fire alarm systems, parking/revenue controls and 24/7/365 service. For more information, call 855.262.4000 or visit https://www.thebakergroup.com/.
Best Mechanical Contractor 2020
Baker Group was awarded the Des Moines Business Record's Best Mechanical Contractor for 2020!
Runner-up Best Electrical Contractor 2020
For the third year Baker Group is runner-up for Best Electrical Contractor, and for the first time we were recognized as runner-up for several other categories.
Runner-Up Best Electrical Contractor, Best Large Company with a Bright Future, Best Engineering, Security Company